Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Genesis

My least meaningful beginning was my birth but it is my first beginning and for that its my personal genesis. I began in a snow storm in Los Angeles California in Sanai hospital. My mom claims there were ovens in the rooms since they didn’t know how to deal with the cold. She said it was her favorite place to live but my dad being the competitive Israeli he is, broke his leg in a basketball game. He was working for my uncle at the time and my uncle could not give him the money we needed to live so he returned to Hulon Israel in a little house near my grandmother’s house. I might have only been two but I remember vividly that I had a queen size bed and I loved my room because all it could fit was that bed and nothing else. We had such a little kitchen that any time more than one person would step into in, my mom would start screaming in hebrew at them to get out. I loved that tiny little apartment.  It might have been the most run down place we ever lived in but it felt like home. About a year into living there my dad decided to go back to the states and find a way to return. His eyes were open by all the states had to provide and he wouldn’t let it go. He opened a store with my uncle Eli in Israel and and right when it started earning them some money he left to Ocean City, MD where he found a friend to open a t-shirt store on the boardwalk.He sent for my mom who was very ecstatic  to come back to the country she too fell in love with. He set up the house for us and my mom packed everything up in Israel on her own with my older sister and I. I remember that was the plane that we left my blanky on. If you ever had a niece or nephew with a blanket you know its very traumatic to lose it, its like they lost a good friend. Little did I know though that it was more that I left in on the way to America that I thought I did. I was only four years old when we made this move but I remember how my eyes shown when I saw our brand new house by the boardwalk of Ocean City Maryland.

Holon, Israel

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Right back atcha: http://scfblogster.socialgo.com/
    It's not quite as personal as yours, but I wrote a few essays, some personal, some more newsworthy. Check, it out :-)

    ReplyDelete